Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Sorrow for unknown people


The photo relates to 2011 when a 26 year old mother was killed on the footpath by a driver
who fell asleep driving her car. Her baby in a stroller did not get injured. I did not know the mother
but I did cry and uttered the unanswerable question: Why?

Then there was the murder of British Labor politician Jo Cox who was stabbed and shot on the street, she was only 41. She was very much liked, I don't think I had even ever heard of her, but again
I cried seeing a photo of the sorrow of a colleague of hers. They think the killer was mentally unbalanced, but I still think you must come quite close to use a knife, you must see their eyes, your mind must be very confused or full of hate to take the life of a person you do not even know.

Often when I hear about a murder I think how could he/she think they had the right to take a life.

People often write and wonder why the death of a single person and often a well-known one, seems to cause more sadness and expressions of sorrow than the killing of a large number of people, through terror action or war or disease like Ebola. I doubt it really is so but  it is more personal when you see the face and learn to know more about them.  I believe people are equally horrified but you might even get numb, there is just too much death, almost every day nowadays.

In United States they examined for 11 days round America how many were killed in a domestic and other dispute, mostly by gun. There were over 1100 deaths. And there are people who do not want better gun control!

No comments: