Saturday, June 04, 2016

How to get a passport.

Untitled


In the summer 2016 I went to Finland in the end of May so I could buy a new passport there, it is very expensive to buy it from the Embassy in Oslo. I found that I can apply for it online, visiting the police will cost 48 euro, online 44 euro.
Well, ordering online is supposed to be quick and easy, and it certainly is if nothing goes wrong. I tried it first at home, using internet through my friend's mobile phone. This happened at about 10 in the evening. You must fill a few pages of information, always clicking several times for a new page. Occasionally the internet connection disappeared, which made the filling quite lengthy. After more than an hour, I was at the stage for paying, then everything stopped, no internet.
I decided to do it in the library after all, I use my own machine, though the WiFi is not secure. It seemed I would have to start from the beginning, but fortunately my application had been saved, so fairly soon I was at the paying stage again. "I declare this page to be the true information", click for the next page. After a while I'm told that the connection failed: "Try again in a while." So I did,  several times. It took a few minutes each time and the message was always the same. Then you think: What is 'a while'? Twenty seconds? Two minutes? Then the message changed into: There is a  sequence error. What's that? I don't know how many times I re-clicked, 15, 20? I must have been sitting there almost two hours. I had not taken my charger so there was hardly any charge left. Anyway, it seemed that it was some fault in the Police computer. So all that time had been in vain. I could have been on Flickr looking at photos!
I called the police and the woman there says that it is best I go to Pasila police for interview, they open at 8.
Sitting at home, at about midnight I realize that I have internet though I had not asked my friend. I get to the application, and this time the message is: "The application is offline between 23.35 and 1.10. " I had to laugh but decided to wait. This time, maybe there was no-one else applying, the procedure went quite fast and at last I could pay. Hurrah! I don't need to get up early in the morning, the application has been sent and received by the police.
So, it can be easy and it can also be extremely frustrating.






No comments: