Friday, August 29, 2014

Terrorism threat for Norway

Untitled


Four days before I was leaving Finland where I had stayed for three weeks, the authorities in Norway found out that four Islamic terrorists were attempting to arrive in Norway. On 1. March some members of the IS group had attacked people with swords and maces on a train stop in China, killing 29. Four from this group were on their way to Norway, the idea was to create fear and loathing among people by knifing people.

Arriving at Oslo airport I did not see any police with weapons, like photos in the newspaper showed. I had left my keys with my daughter and she was at work. I took the train from  Gardermoen. Arriving at the main railway station I went towards the left luggage lockers and they were unavailable, with barriers blocking the way! Time was not even 1 o'clock and my daughter would leave work at 5. It was like in New York, as since the terrorist attack in New York in  September 2001, all public luggage storage was closed.   

I had the largest  luggage bag with a handle, so called rollaboard, which by the way  were invented in 1987 by US pilot Robert Platt:  I would have to stay with it. For a while I stayed on a bench at the railway station and could see others with luggage problems. Then I thought it might be better to be outside. I could not move far so I went and sat at a square between a hotel and tramway tracks on the opposite side of the street from the station.

It was amazing how quickly some four hours went,  just watching people. I read a bit and ate something I had brought from Finland,  otherwise I was just observing what happened. I did not even move anywhere.

In 2011, a soldier and a policeman with guns in front of the Parliament, and as we found out, it was home-grown terrorism.
Untitled


No comments: