Saturday, March 15, 2014

Whoops!

Untitled by ausfi
Untitled, a photo by ausfi on Flickr.
"We are announcing that we are deprecating the support for our built-in sharing options for Wordpress, Blogger and LiveJournal on 3/25. Deprecating features is never an easy decision, but we have seen that all of these services combined are now adding up to less than one percent of daily share volume from Flickr.

Most of Flickr's content is now being shared on and we are working with all these partners to make the experience even better. This week, we already introduced new attribution and a new look for Flickr photos on Tumblr on mobile, and there is more sharing goodness to come. "

This is the latest bombshell from Flickr. So it is all because of percentages and so it is right to deprive lots of people something they treasure and have been happy to use. Some even came to Flickr because they liked the feature.
I have tried to accommodate all the new changes and tried to be happy with them. This however is something that has made me deeply depressed. I read about this over 14 hours ago and I still start to cry when I think of this. I guess I am a lazy blogger (not that it is Flickr's fault) and this feature has made me contribute more often.
So one can never be sure what will suddenly stop; something is made available, people get used to it , enjoy it and whoops! the rug is pulled from under your feet!
Flickr is very kind: when I started to write this, red letters appeared on top telling me that they would deprecate the support for sharing to Blogger on 3/25.
Well, I am going to write more during this remaining week (+ a few days) than before. This is of course OK for Flickr as Wordpress, Blogger and LiveJournal are not so much about photos as Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. Though actually only Pinterest is mostly about photos. http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157642307716514/ 

No comments: