Tuesday, March 18, 2014

First wild flowers of spring.

Untitled by ausfi
Untitled, a photo by ausfi on Flickr.

March 15. This is the colt's foot. The name is based on the shape of the leaves that appear after the flowers have died. It is the first wild flower of spring and I have never found it this early.
In Finnish it is 'leskenlehti', meaning the "widow's leaf".
I was walking past the side of the opera and further along the footpath continuing towards the east until I came to a point where I was facing about the middle of the row of Barcode buildings. After taking some photos, I turned and on shallow soil, with a concrete block behind them, I saw a long line of the flowers, that must have been growing already for a while. I had visited a couple of other sites where I had seen these flowers last spring, but had not seen any. Two days ago I went to the Botanical Gardens and found there snow bells, winter aconites, seven types of crocuses and a few other flowers. There are snow bells and crocuses also in the city.

No comments: